My reason for joining NSBE is because coming into college as an engineering major, I felt that NSBE would be a good support group for my engineering career especially being a minority. The tools and opportunities that are available within the chapter and at conferences are very useful and are within arms reach with hard work.
I'm glad you asked. Recall that the National Society of Black Engineers is dedicated to the academic and professional success of not only African-American engineers but to all ethnicities.
NSBE offers its members leadership training, professional development, mentoring opportunities, career placement services and more!
Some of those other benefits of being a member include:
- Access to 20+ companies at regional conferences and over 300 at the National Convention career fair.
- Academic support is provided via tutoring and academic achievement programs.
- Free KAPLAN test preparation available at conferences. ( up to a $1,400 value)
- Free Microsoft software such as Windows 7 and Visual Studio.
- Receive discounts at popular manufacturers such as Lenovo and Ford.
- Leadership Development. As a member, you will receive exceptional training at regional conferences, the National Convention, and through your local chapter. You also have the opportunity to serve on a Regional and/or National Executive Board.
- Post your resume free of charge to top engineering companies. On NSBE.org you will have the opportunity to search for internships, co-ops, and full-time job opportunities.
- Apply for various scholarships and grants. Scholarships are awarded every year to deserving undergraduate students, many of which do not even require a GPA.
- Meet thousands of other students and technical professionals in your field of study.
- Compete in a vast number of programs that help prepare you for graduate school and your future career.
- Give back to the community through NSBE’s T.O.R.C.H. and mentor programs.
- Receive a subscription to NSBE Magazine. Each issue offers the latest industry news and articles tailored to individual areas of engineering. (a $20 value)
- NSBE members receive discounts to the National Convention and Regional conferences – the largest student planned conferences in the world. Technical training and unparalleled networking opportunities are available at these conferences as you meet people from all over the world.
All these benefits for just an annual fee of $18. These are not the only benefits of being in NSBE. You also get the benefit of being included in the NSBE family where the atmosphere consists of NSBE pride, dedication, and love. Join NSBE. Click the following link to be referred to the national site to join